April 30, 2019 (23:59 CET)
Armenian Progressive Youth NGO is looking for an author for its Handbook: “Everyone Matters! Youth Inclusion and Youth Participation in the Eastern Partnership countries”. This publication is a part of a 2 year project “Everyone Matters! Development of Inclusive and Participatory Youth Work Practices in Eastern Partnership countries”.
The handbook should include a comprehensive assessment of the situation of youth work in Eastern Partnership countries with a focus on marginalized youth, specifically in rural and deprived urban areas of the region. It should include methods, recourses, information and ABC of participation and inclusion in order to support youth workers in their daily work.
The Handbook should also collect and capitalize the experiences and testimonies of project participant organizations and participating youth workers. It should include the working methodologies, new tools and recommendations that were developed during the project “Everyone Matters! Development of Inclusive and Participatory Youth Work Practices in Eastern Partnership countries”.
The publication is intended to:
- Inform and provide insight on issues and approaches in relation to youth participation and youth inclusion in Eastern Partnership countries
- Create a methodological source and guidelines for incorporation of inclusive, needs-based and participatory approaches into the activities for the community development;
- Serve as a recourse for youth trainers and youth workers as well as authorities working with marginalized youth;
- Highlight the importance of inclusion and youth participation for the development of rural communities in Eastern Partnership countries.
- Challenge readers in their assumptions and inspire action
- Contribute to policy by stimulating discussion and recommendations
- Promote youth participation and inclusion in Eastern Partnership countries
Target Audience: The primary audience will be youth practitioners and other professionals with responsibility for young people’s non-formal learning. A broader audience will include: youth workers, educators, policy influencers and decision-makers, researchers, youth and community workers.
The publication “Everyone Matters! Youth Inclusion and Youth Participation in the Eastern Partnership countries” should have a particular reference to young people in Eastern Partnership countries and include the following main chapters:
1) An overview of Youth Inclusion and Youth Participation support approaches across Europe
2) An overview of the actual situation and main challenges of youth in Eastern Partnership countries: some relevant statistics, identification of main items to be explored
3) The state of Youth Inclusion and Youth Participation in the Eastern Partnership countries: Some examples of good practices developed from Institutions, NGOs for providing answer to those challenges
4) Glossary of Youth Inclusion and Youth Participation
5) Non Formal Education Methods supporting youth inclusion and youth participation
6) Outreach of Marginalized Youth in Eastern Partnership countries: Tips and Tricks
7) Resistance to inclusion in EaP: discrimination, marginalization, homophobia and inequality
8) Recommendations to Local and National Governments, Private Sector and International Organizations
9) Useful Recourses & Links
Format of the Publication: The text should include schemes. The format of this publication will be 100 — 120 pages in A4 format. The author will meet online with APY coordination team in order to define the editorial plan and confirm the timeline.
Language: A Handbook on Youth Inclusion and Youth Participation in the Eastern Partnership countries should be developed in English. The English version will be later translated and published also in Russian language.
Requested trainer profile
Requested Author Profile
We are looking for one author with:
- Excellent knowledge of topics of Youth Inclusion and Participation
- Ability to write educational materials in English
- Fluency in spoken English and excellent command of written English
- Prior experience in writing for publications is an asset
The Author will be paid 1000 EUR net. An Editor will manage final preparation of the publication. In cooperation with the editor, tasks and duties of the selected author include the following:
- Collection and analysis of tools, testimonies from stakeholders, participants,
- Drafting sections and chapters of the publication from the material collected
- Submission of the publication draft for discussion in accordance with an established timetable
- Editing of the final draft (e.g. making cross references within the publication and to external sources, making the text flow, coherent style and structure throughout the publication)
- Delivery of final text for layout
Armenian Progressive Youth NGO reserves the right to amend the final text submitted by the author. The author agrees with the publication being freely available online.
The selected author should produce and include Practical Case Studies and Analytical think-pieces in the publication.
- Practical case studies examples between 500-1500 words
- Analytical think-pieces between 1500-4000 words
Practice examples represent a short contribution describing NGO’s, community or school/youth projects, and engagement of diverse groups in policy processes, advocacy initiative or any other occasion when different tools and approaches were used to engage and empower young people. These can refer to successful initiatives or ones which had limited success but lessons were learned for future development.
Think-pieces are expected to be an in-depth analysis or reflection on a situation, theory or policy. They may be in the form of an academic article, analysis of data or an interview. These contributions can be based on original research or previously published materials, in which case the source should be acknowledged and copyrights researched.
Topics can be addressed through analysis of data, case-studies, impact assessment or critical reflection. The Author will be expected to describe challenges in aspects of youth inclusion and participation in Eastern Partnership countries as well as approaches that have shown a positive impact on young people’s empowerment, inclusion, initiative and participation. The Author can draw upon experience in all forms of youth and young people’s non-formal learning.
The publication is planned for December 2019; therefore the work should start from 10th of May 2019.
·1st draft should be submitted by 1st of August, 2019.
·2nd draft should be submitted by 1st of October, 2019.
·The final draft should be submitted by 1st of November, 2019.
·The final publication should be ready to be published by 10th of December, 2019.
The team will be composed of the Author, the Editor and the designers. The content of the Publication should be developed by the autor.
Application & selection procedure
Apply no later than: April 30, 2019 (23:59 CET)
How to apply:
In oreder to apply for this position, interested Authors should send a CV and a short sample of previous written material in English to [email protected] no later than 30th of April 2019.
The selection will be based on the CV and previous experience of writing similar publications.
The selection will be carried out by Armenian Progressive Youth NGO on 1st of May 2019 and selected Author will be notified within a week after the selection, by 8th of May, 2019.
An online meeting between the author and the editor is foreseen in the beginning of May 2019.
You will be informed about the selection by: May 1, 2019
For more information
David Amiryan, Executive Assistant
Email: [email protected]